Dawn dish soap is a multipurpose household product with a multitude of benefits. But, does dawn kill ticks and how to use it to eliminate ticks. Keep reading to find out!
Dawn is the name of a dishwashing solution, manufactured by Procter & Gamble. Besides cleaning kitchen utensils, there are some alternate uses of dawn dish soap. But, can you use it to kill ticks? Read the answer below.
What Is a Tick?
Ticks are little parasites that feed on human beings and animals. Their color varies from brown to reddish-brown and black. Ticks are arachnids, meaning they are related to spiders. These tiny bugs have eight legs, and their size varies as per different stages of their life cycle. Ticks mostly thrive in warm and humid climates.
Most of their species are harmless, but Ixodidae (hard ticks) and Argasidae (soft ticks) are known for transmitting diseases. They carry a number of pathogens such as bacteria, protozoa, helminths, and viruses. Ticks generally prefer to bite warm, moist areas of the body, such as hair, armpits, or genitals.
Symptoms of Tick Bite
You will notice the following symptoms if you are allergic to a tick bite:
- Pain or Swelling
- Burning sensation
- Rash at the bite site
But if a disease-carrying tick bites you, then the symptoms can be different. They usually appear within a few weeks.
- Redness at the bite site
- Neck Stiffness
Does Dawn Kill Ticks?
Dawn dish soap will kill ticks. However, first, you have to remove the ticks from the affected body part, then drop them into a combination of Dawn and water solution to kill them for good.
How to Remove a Tick with Dawn Soap?
If you want to remove the tick from yourself, kids, or pets, then try the below dawn dish soap remedy.
1. DIY Dawn Soap Tick Remover
- Three Tablespoons of Dawn Dish Soap
- 1/2 Cup of Warm Water
- A Bowl
- Cotton Pad
- A Spoon
- Pour 3 tablespoons of dawn dish soap along with 1/2 cup of warm water into a bowl and mix them well.
- Soak the cotton pad into the solution.
- Then, put it on the tick and make sure to cover it properly.
- Hold it for 2-3 minutes, or until the tick loosens its grip.
- When you remove the cotton pad, the tick gets stuck into its threads.
- Now, pull out the tick from the pad using tweezers.
- Throw it into the liquid-filled bowl and let it drown.
- Clean the tick affected body part with a mild cleanser, followed by a moisturizer.
How to Prevent Ticks Bite?
Follow the below preventive measures to avoid the tick’s bite and the possible encounters:
- Avoid going to dense vegetation and leaf clutter areas.
- When you are in a park or hiking, always walk on the concrete road and avoid trailside vegetation.
- Eliminate leaf clutter, grasses, and bushes from your lawn or yard.
- Daily check yourself, kids, and pets for ticks.
- Avoid going to potential dwelling areas of the ticks.
- Always carry a hat, light-colored long-sleeve shirt, and long pants, if your house is surrounded by forest or thick vegetation.
- Vacuum your house on a daily basis.
We hope the above article is enough to let you understand everything about ticks and its potential remedy. Besides, if you have a lice infestation, then try baby oil, it will do the trick.