If you have always wondered does mouthwash kill lice and can it be any better than commercial lice removal shampoos, then read this post!
Lice are wingless insects that infest human hair and feed on blood. Lice have three species, namely – head lice, body lice, and pubic lice. However, mostly, people get infected by head lice. Below, you’ll get to know how to get rid of lice using the mouthwash and prevention tips as well!
Does Mouthwash Kill Lice?
Mouthwash may kill lice because of its ingredients–menthol, eucalyptus, alcohol, thymol, and methyl salicylate. However, there is no detailed scientific study done on does mouthwash kill lice, and if this treatment is effective.
Lice Prevention Tips
Head lice, which is the most common form of lice, is infamous for shifting from one person to another with contact. Read the below tips to prevent the head lice infestation.
- Do not share the bed with a lice infected person.
- Avoid hugging or any type of physical contact if you suspect someone may have an infection.
- Keep your clothing and other accessories away from the person having a lice problem.
- Don’t share your comb, hats, and towel with any other person.
- Avoid sharing your headphones at home or anywhere.
- Clean your comfy couches and furniture correctly using this method, if it’s used by a lice infected person.
- If you shared your clothes with someone who might have a lice infestation, then wash them immediately.
How to Use Mouthwash to Get Rid of Lice?
Before trying this hack to get rid of lice, read the below-mentioned notes properly.
A note: This lice treatment is not scientifically tested yet, but we found some authoritative sources claiming that it works – here and here. But please try it out on a small portion of hairs to make sure you’re not getting any adverse effects from it.
Lice Removal Mouthwash Remedy
- Shower Cap
- Metal Lice Comb
- Pour a sufficient amount of mouthwash into a bowl.
- Now, massage it properly from the roots, working towards the tips of the strands, along with the scalp, using fingertips.
- Then, put on the shower cap and leave it for 5-7 minutes.
- Once it’s done, wash your hair with shampoo and dry your strands properly using a hairdryer.
- After that, brush your hair with a lice comb, to remove the dead lice and their eggs.
- Repeat this process once in a week, for up to 2-3 weeks, to remove head lice from your strands.
- This method not only kills the adult lice but also loosens the nits from the hair shaft as well. That’s why it’s recommended to brush after every application.
- The above method is for adults only and not for children.
- While trying the aforementioned lice removal remedy, make sure the solution does not enter your eyes. If it accidentally happens, flush your eyes with lots of water and consult a doctor immediately.
- If you have any scalp issues, then don’t use the above technique, as it will cause burning sensations.
- Do not leave the mouthwash on your scalp for an extended period of time, because it’s made up of harsh chemicals.
If you wish to try a different remedy for lice, try baby oil, it’ll definitely eliminate head lice for good!