Unclogging a blocked tub is a cumbersome task. Read on this short article about how to unclog a bathtub drain with bleach, easily and quickly at home!
What Is Bleach?
Bleach is a common name of a solid or liquid chemical product. It’s used in textile industries to produce white cloth and to eradicate the discoloration that happens in other methods. Domestically, bleach is used to clean the toilet, sanitize the plastic toys, killing weeds, and as a disinfectant. Furthermore, its a mold, mildew, and white fabric stains remover.
There are three types of bleaches that are available in the market-
- Chlorine Formulated Bleaches – It is generally used as a disinfecting agent in hospitals, public toilets, and water purification.
- Peroxide Formulated Bleaches – It’s used to purify and to increase the shelf life of the food products.
- Reducing Bleaches – This type of bleaching product is included in industrial dyeing methods to get rid of unwanted colors, excess dye, and residual oxide.
How to Unclog a Bathtub Drain With Bleach?
A slow bathtub drain is a very common problem that seems minor but could convert into a major issue, when the pipes become jammed, after some time. A bathtub channel can clog due to the accumulation of hair, soap residue, dirt, and debris. But before calling a plumber, you can try the bleaching method, which can unclog the drain. This homemade remedy is effective because it dissolves the acidic substances by the chemical reaction due to its physical and chemical properties.
Try the below quick and inexpensive hack to do this cumbersome task without any hassle!
DIY Bathtub Drain Unclogging Recipe
- A Cup of Undiluted Liquid Bleach
- Hot Water
- Pour a cup of undiluted liquid bleach directly into the bathtub drain.
- Wait for 8-10 minutes, then empty a lot of hot water into the pipe as fast as possible for up to 3-4 minutes.
- During this method, if your washtub gets blocked, then don’t worry, try the whole process again.
- However, the above technique will not work if the bathtub’s channel blocks severely due to a bunch of hair. In that condition, you have to use a ‘Plumber snake’ or call a service professional to clear it properly.
- You can leave the undiluted liquid bleach solution in the pipes overnight, then run it with hot water in the morning.
- Do not try this bleaching hack, if the drainage system is made up of stainless steel as it can cause serious damage by corroding and discoloring it.
- Always wear protective gear like hand gloves to avoid any mishaps.
As a preventive measure, try the above method daily to stop the clogging of the bathtub drain. But in case, if you’re searching for some quick tricks to clean your kitchen’s most important stuff, then check out our next article!