In this article, you will learn how to unclog kitchen sink with disposal instantly without the help of a service professional and chemical-filled cleaners!
If your sink has garbage disposal installed, then it may be the probable cause of the blocked kitchen sink, especially if the food particles are not flushed out properly with enough water. But don’t worry, below are some ways that’ll surely help you out!
What Is Garbage Disposal?
Garbage disposal is a piece of electronic equipment, which is located beneath the kitchen sink. It is used to tear down the food particles into fine pieces. This device was introduced by an architect named John W. Hammes in 1927.
How to Unclog Kitchen Sink With Disposal?
Before doing anything, firstly switch off the garbage disposal. Try the below ways to unclog the kitchen sink with a garbage disposal!
1. Determine What’s Stuck Inside
Instead of using bare hands into the disposer, take a flashlight to see what is stuck inside, causing the issue. If the build-up debris can be reached easily, then use pliers or long-handled tongs to remove them over the sinkhole.
2. Use Natural Cleaners
Avoid the usage of the chemical drain cleaners, as they can damage the plastic and metal parts of the garbage disposal. Instead, make a fizzy solution by pouring 1/2 cup of baking soda and white vinegar each, into the drain. Wait for 5-10 minutes to allow the solution to do its work. Once it’s done, run the hot water for around 3-4 minutes. This method dissolves any grimes and debris present in the disposable garbage unit.
3. Try Toilet Plunger
If the above mentioned natural cleaner is unable to clear the stubborn clogs, then the toilet plunger will do the trick. Fill the sink with a sufficient amount of water, putting it over the sinkhole, and start plunging to pull out the debris present in the disposal. If you have a double-sided sink, then cover up the other one with a different plunger.
4. Reset the Garbage Disposal Unit
If you don’t notice any grime or debris in the disposer unit, then it’s probably jammed. To make it free, insert the wrench into the bottom of the disposer and move it in both back and forth. Applying some force while doing this will not harm the disposal. Continue this process until the wrench moves freely in circles. Check the overload protector; if it’s tripped, then press the button. After that, turn on the water and run the disposer.
- If you have accidentally dropped any valuable object into the disposal, then call a service professional immediately.
- Before starting the above procedure, firstly run the disposal with lots of water to see if it gets clear or not.
- Never open the disposer when it’s connected to a power source.
- Do not insert your fingers inside the disposer in any situation. The sharp metal blades installed in it can cause a severe injury.
- If your dishwasher is attached to the plunger, make sure that you are pinching the flexible pipe attached to the unit before the cleaning process to avoid the dirty water get into it.
After reading the above article, you can unclog the kitchen sink with disposal without the help of a professional. Besides, we have collected some helpful tricks to clean your kitchen stuff!