Rats can do a lot of damage to your home and cloths. Find out “Do onions kill rats?” in this article and learn how to repel them with onions.
Some Fun Facts
Rats are medium-sized rodents that belong to the order ‘Rodentia.’ They are found almost all over the globe. You can easily differentiate rats and mice by their size. Mice are smaller in comparison to an adult rat. Their life expectancy varies, as per their habitat, and species. Even, rodents are infamous to spread life-threatening diseases. That’s why either kill or deter them away.
Do Onions Kill Rats?
Nope! Onion can’t kill rats. However, it works as an effective deterrent to keep the rodents away from your house. This method works because of the onion’s strong odor, disliked by rats. Try the below described natural remedy to repel the rodents for good.
How to Repel Rats?
Killing rats is inhumane and if they died in your house, then it’ll be harmful to your family’s health as well. So, try the below rodents deterrent quick hack that will keep them at bay.
DIY Rats Repellent Onion Remedy
- A Knife
- Take an onion, and cut it into a few slices, using a knife.
- Now, place the onion slices around the holes, gaps, doors, windows, rooftops, and their dwelling areas.
- The foul odor of onion will force them to leave your house.
- Make sure to replace the onion slices with the new ones, when they start to rot and their smell becomes unbearable.
- Whenever you are sure that there are no rodents in your home, then follow the below preventive measures to inhibit their future infestation.
- While trying the above hack, make sure to keep your pets far away from the onion, as its ingestion can be toxic for them.
How to Prevent Rats?
Other than using the above remedy to deter rodents, it’s also necessary to take further actions to prevent their further infestation at home!
- Store your foodstuffs in an airtight metal or glass containers.
- Repair all the cracks, holes, and gaps of the doors, walls, windows, and rooftops.
- As rodents make their habitat in piles of clutters, that’s why remove them from inside, and outside of the house.
- Maintain proper ventilation in your basements and other potential rodents crawling places.
- Cover your dustbins and clean them regularly.
- Use door sweeps beneath the doors to block their entrances.
- Repair leaked pipes and opens the clogged drainage pores.
After reading the above article, you will get to know that onions are not limited to your kitchen. But they are an essential part of your rat deterrent home remedy. Besides, if your house is infested by the silverfish, then bleach will do the trick!