Skunks are notorious mammals known for their strong, unpleasant smell. Stick with us to figure out how to get rid of skunks with ammonia!
Ammonia is a colorless gas with a distinct smell. Other then an allrounder cleaning product, it’s also known for its multitude of uses around the house. In this article, we’ll discuss how to get rid of skunks with ammonia quickly and effectively!
What Is a Skunk?
Skunks are North and South American animals, having stripes, spots, or swirls on their fur. They release offensive odor from their well developed anal organs, in defense, against their predators. Skunks are omnivores, meaning they can feed on a variety of foods of both animal and plant origin. They are generally around the size of house cats or smaller. Spotted, hog-nosed, and hooded skunks are some of the popular types.
How to Get Rid of Skunks With Ammonia?
If you live in an area where skunks visit your lawn or house often, then use the below methods to keep them at bay!
1. Skunk Deterrent Ammonia Solution
- Household Ammonia
- Large Bowl
- Plastic Bags
- To make your property skunk-free, pour a sufficient amount of household ammonia into the bowl.
- Now, soak a few pieces of old clothes (rags) into the solution and put them inside the plastic bags.
- Then place the bags beneath the deck, around the trees and small holes, as well as at the back and front entrances of the house.
2. Ammonia Skunk Repellent Spray
- Two Cups of Household Ammonia
- 1/4 Cup of Water
- Empty Spray Bottle
- Mixing Bowl
- Small Funnel
- Fill the bowl with two cups of household ammonia, along with 1/4 cup of water.
- Now, pour the solution into the empty spray bottle using a funnel and shake it well.
- After that, spritz this liquid below the deck, around the doorstep, and perimeter of your yard to repel the notorious skunks.
- After trying the above quick hacks, always remember to refill the rags with ammonia and respray the solution at different intervals.
- While using the above remedy, it’s best to wear hand gloves and face masks, as ammonia is harmful.
- Also, keep your pet, and kids as far as possible from the area, where ammonia is used, to avoid any potential mishaps.
- If you are facing severe skunk issues, we highly recommend you to call the professionals immediately.
Skunk Prevention Tips
Besides trying the above remedy, you have to take some extra preventive measures to avoid skunk’s entrance in the first place!
- Always keep trash containers covered.
- Feed the pets indoors.
- Empty the birdfeeders at night.
- Remove logs and trash piles.
- Seal the unwanted entrances.
Firstly take the above preventive steps, then use the mentioned remedies to get rid of skunk for good. Besides, try these quick ways to get rid of love bugs from your house. If you loved this article, then share it with your family and friends!