Commercial skunk repellents are expensive and harmful as well. That’s why if you want to know, how to get rid of skunks with chocolate, then stay tuned with us!
Skunks are North and South American, infamous creatures, known for spraying pungent, obnoxious smell from their anal organs when they feel insecure or frightened. If skunks visit your property often or are living in your yard, then try the below remedy to repel them away!
How to Get Rid of Skunks With Chocolate?
It sounds silly, but chocolate can help you to repel skunks. This method works because of its ingredient named theobromine. Just like dogs, skunks get sick, when they consume chocolate, causing them to leave your property in a matter of no time. Try and see its magic!
- Take a chocolate bar and cut into small equal pieces using a knife.
- Then, put these pieces around the house, yard, garage, holes, and other potential skunk habitats.
- When skunks eat it, they get digestive issues and irritation, forcing them to run away from your property.
- But in case, if skunks avoid eating chocolate, then mix their favorite food with it.
- To do so, add two tablespoons of peanut butter along with a handful of chocolate pieces into a bowl and mix them for a few seconds.
- Now, take out the peanut butter coated chocolate pieces using a spoon and put them onto a plate (dishware).
- Then, keep it into the deep freezer for half an hour to solidify it.
- Once it’s done, place the pieces around the holes and other possible hiding places of the skunks.
- Redo this process, until the skunks are gone.
How to Prevent Skunks?
Read the below prevention tips to avoid the unpleasant skunk encounter, around your property in the first place!
- Bury the wire fences, around 7-8 inches deep into the land, because skunks are great burrowers.
- Always seal the garbage containers and clean them regularly.
- Make sure to remove all the clutters around your lawn, such as wood and rock piles. This will stop them from establishing their den.
- Cover the bottom of the porch and deck with a wire mesh.
- Feed your pets indoors. But, if you have outdoor pets, then clean any remaining uneaten food.
- Always remember to empty the bird feeders at night, as skunks are mostly active at that time, and can be attracted to any kind of food.
- Keep your garage closed when not in use and clean it regularly, as these are the ideal hiding places of skunks.
The above method will surely do its job, but if it’s not helpful for you, then try ammonia, which is the potent skunk repellent home remedy, it’ll definitely do!