Commercial skunk repellents are expensive and harmful. That’s why if you want to know, How to Get Rid of Skunks with Chocolate? Stay tuned!
Skunks can be a menace, leaving a strong odor that can linger for weeks. If skunks visit your property often or are living in your yard, explore this article to Get Rid of Skunks With Chocolate.
What are Skunks?
Native to North and South America, skunks are black and white-hued omnivorous animals. Skunks are infamous for emitting a pungent, noxious smell from their anal organs when they feel insecure or frightened. They have an average lifespan of 3 years. Skunks are nocturnal animals with a good sense of smell and prefer to live in the daylight. Their diet includes fruits, plants, insects, bird eggs, small rodents, and birds.
What Attracts Skunks to Your Yard?
Skunks get attracted to your yard due to the following reasons:
- Food- A yard full of insects, birds, plants, trash cans, and pet food is the perfect feasting place for skunks.
- Shelter- Another common reason for skunks’ arrival in your yard is shelter. Skunks like to make their homes in dens, burrows, underdecks, sheds, or other structures. If you have dark, quiet, and sheltered space in your yard, eliminate such places right away.
- Water- Lastly, skunks can draw toward your yard for water. Like all animals, skunks need water to survive. If you have any water sources in your yard, such as a pond or bird bath, skunks’ arrival is imminent.
How to Get Rid of Skunks With Chocolate?
Chocolate is what you need to get rid of skunks from your property. Theobromine present in chocolate is toxic to skunks, dogs, and other wildlife animals. When skunks consume chocolate, they experience digestion issues, irritation, and even death. So if you’re looking for a humane way to repel these creatures, avoid this hack and scroll the article a bit.
- Take a chocolate bar and cut it into small equal pieces using a knife.
- Then, put these pieces around the house, yard, garage, holes, and other potential skunk habitats.
- When skunks eat it, they get digestive issues and irritation, forcing them to run away from your property.
- But if skunks avoid eating chocolate, then mix their favorite food with it.
- To do so, add two tablespoons of peanut butter along with a handful of chocolate pieces into a bowl and mix them for a few seconds.
- Now, take out the peanut butter-coated chocolate pieces using a spoon and put them onto a plate (dishware).
- Then, keep it in the deep freezer for half an hour to solidify it.
- Once it’s done, place the pieces around the holes and other possible hiding places for the skunks.
- Redo this process until the skunks are gone.
How to Get Rid of Skunks With Chocolate: Some Precautions
While using the skunk removal remedies, make sure to follow the below precautions to avoid mishaps.
- Always wear protective gear such as full-sleeved clothing, safety goggles, and a good-quality face mask.
- Maintain a safe distance from the skunk.
- Keep your children, pets, and elderly far away from the yard when you’re dealing with skunks.
Other Ways To Repel Skunks
Chocolate can kill skunks. That’s why If you don’t want to get rid of skunks with chocolate, use the below hacks.
- Install Lights- Skunks are nocturnal animals and quite sensitive to bright light. Install motion-activated lights around your property to keep them at bay. When the skunk approaches your property, the lights will turn on and startle the skunk, causing it to flee.
- Pet or Predator Urine- One of the easiest ways to repel skunks from your yard is predator urine (dog, coyote, or fox). Simply spray urine around the area you want to protect from skunks. The scent of predator urine will fade over time, so reapply it every few days and after heavy rainfall.
- Ammonia- Ammonia is another effective remedy to eliminate pesky skunks. It works because of its pungent smell. However, instruct your kids, pets, and elderly to stay away from the ammonia-treated area. Find out the detailed remedy here.
- Pepper Repellent Spray- To create a natural skunk repellent, mix one tablespoon of each cayenne pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder in a cup of tepid water. Next, transfer the liquid into a spray bottle. Shake the bottle well and spray it around the desired areas.
- DIY Skunk Trap- A spray-proof trap is another excellent option to make your yard skunk-free. If you want to create a trap, use this step-by-step tutorial.
What to Do If You Get Sprayed By a Skunk?
Getting sprayed by a skunk can be a very unpleasant experience. If you find yourself sprayed by a skunk, follow the below steps to minimize the skunk odor:
- Get away from the skunk- If the skunk is still nearby, move away from it to avoid getting sprayed again.
- Avoid rubbing your eyes- Skunk spray can cause irritation and burning, so avoid rubbing your eyes.
- Remove any contaminated clothing- If your clothes have been sprayed, remove them and wash them separately from other clothes.
- Take a shower- Take a shower with deodorant soap or a grease-cutting dish detergent to eliminate odor. Don’t forget to clean your strands with a shampoo followed by a conditioner.
How to Prevent Skunks?
After using the steps to get rid of skunks with chocolate, follow the below prevention tips to avoid unpleasant skunk encounters in the first place!
- Bury the wire fences, around 7-8 inches deep into the land, because skunks are great burrowers.
- Always seal the garbage containers and clean them regularly.
- Make sure to remove all the clutters around your lawn, such as wood and rock piles. This will stop them from establishing their den.
- Cover the bottom of the porch and deck with a wire mesh.
- Feed your pets indoors. But, if you have outdoor pets, then clean any remaining uneaten food.
- Always remember to empty the bird feeders at night, as skunks are mostly active at that time and can be attracted to any kind of food.
- Keep your garage closed when not in use and clean it regularly, as these are the ideal hiding places for skunks.
When to Contact a Professional?
If you have a skunk problem that you’re not able to handle properly, contacting a professional is the last resort. Also, when you’re not sure how to humanely remove a skunk from your property, it’s recommended to contact a wildlife professional.