Does Toothpaste Get Rid of Cold Sores? Read this short and detailed article carefully till the end to unfold the truth behind this question!
What Is Cold Sore Herpes?
Cold sores, fever blisters or herpes simplex labialis are a collection of little, reddish, and painful sores that happen around the border of the lips in patches. It’s a viral disease, triggered by the herpes simplex virus. The average healing period of cold sores is about two to four weeks.
Cold Sore Symptoms
Below are some symptoms of the cold sores that are not only painful but also makes your day to day activities uneasy as well.
- Difficulty in Breathing or Swallowing
- Red and irritated eyes
- Swollen Glands
- Itching And Tingling
- Muscle Aches
Does Toothpaste Get Rid of Cold Sores?
Many cases are floating on the internet that how toothpaste dries out fever blisters. But unfortunately, they are quite unreliable, meaning it’s based on the answers of some personal accounts, without the evidence of any scientific research. Even putting toothpaste on your skin for a longer duration of time can cause skin irritation or any other problem. Although not with sores, toothpaste can definitely help you out with hickeys, read here. Try the below home remedies that may ease the symptoms and accelerate its healing process.
Alternative Remedies for Cold Sores
Here are the alternative remedies for cold sores that will speed up its healing process and eliminate them in no time!
- Ice Pack – Put the cold pack on the infected area to reduce the symptoms of the cold sores.
- Aloe vera – Use aloe vera on the area to utilize its fever blisters inhibitory properties.
- Over the Counter Medications – If nothing works, then try the cold sores eliminating over the counter (OTC) medications, prescribed by the doctor.
- Licorice Root Powder – Make a paste of licorice root and water in an equal proportion, then apply it on the cold sores directly. It works because of its antiviral components.
- Cornstarch – Apply cornstarch paste, made in 1:1 ratio of water and cornstarch on the cold sores patches. This method will speed up the healing process.
- Lemon Balm – Using a cream or lotion containing lemon balm or drinking its leaves infused tea will reduce the pain and swelling of herpes labialis.
- Hydrogen Peroxide & Baking Soda – Make a mixture of these two ingredients and apply it on the fever blisters for 5-8 minutes, then rinse it after.
After reading the above article, if you still think – Does toothpaste get rid of cold sores? Then, unfortunately, there’s no point in trying it. Try the above remedies to not only ease the symptoms but also lessens the chances of future breakouts of fever blisters.