How Long Do Hickeys Last? How to Remove a Hickey Quickly? Find out everything about love bite in this detailed and research-backed article!
Do you have a love bite that’s just a bit too noticeable? Fear not, because we’ve compiled a foolproof guide on How to Remove a Hickey with ease below.
What is a Hickey?
Hickey, also known as the kiss mark, love bite, and Hickie, is a temporary bruise. It happens when your partner nibbles on any body part very passionately, resulting in small broken veins under the skin, causing blood clots. Hickey’s appearance changes during its lifespan. However, it’s not painful, but you may feel a little bit of swelling and inflammation in that area.
Different Types of Hickeys
Hickey causes discoloration below the skin. As a love bite heals, the body absorbs the clotted blood. That’s why its appearance changes throughout its lifespan. Many think that there are various types of hickeys. But, it’s just different stages of the healing period. To get rid of them, we have collected some of the best remedies that you can check further in the article.
How Long Do Hickeys Last?
Hickey can last as long as 7 to 14 days. Its healing period depends on the love bite’s severity and the affected person’s health. Healing a hickey is easy and can be done with the help of some home remedies, whether it’s big or small.
Best and Quickest Ways to Get Rid of Hickeys – How to Remove a Hickey
If you have a love bite, use these best and fastest ways to get rid of a hickey in no time.
1. Mint Toothpaste
Besides cleaning your teeth, toothpaste is also an effective remedy to reduce the appearance of a love bite. This method works because of its pain-alleviating effect and ability to enhance the blood flow under the skin!
- Mint-flavored Toothpaste
- Lukewarm Water
- Apply a sufficient amount of toothpaste onto the love bite-affected body part and massage it gently using a toothbrush for a few seconds.
- Leave the application for a few minutes.
- Once you’re done, wipe out the application with lukewarm water.
- Repeat this technique two times a day until the hickey disappears.
2. Peppermint Essential Oil
Peppermint essential oil encourages blood flow under the skin, thereby healing the love bite within a few days!
- 4-5 Drops of Peppermint Essential Oil
- 3-4 Drops of Lavender Essential Oil
- 2 Tablespoons of Sweet Almond Oil (For Dilution)
- Mixing Bowl
- Pour all the ingredients into a bowl and stir them well.
- Now, massage the liquid gently onto the hickey for 2-3 minutes.
- Don’t apply too much pressure, as it can make the bruise worse.
- Repeat this process 3-4 times a day to get noticeable effects.
3. Banana Peel to Remove a Hickey
Banana peel is a rich source of vitamins, nutrients, and anti-inflammatory properties. Applying it to the hickey may speed up its healing process and has a soothing effect as well.
- Banana Peel
- Damp Cloth
- Rub the inside of a banana peel onto the hickey-affected body part.
- Leave it for 25-30 minutes or until the peel turns brown.
- Once it’s done, clean the skin with a damp cloth.
- Redo this hack thrice a day up to a week for better results.
4. Try Chapstick
It may sound absurd, but chapstick can heal love bites. This hack works by contracting the small ruptured veins along with improving the blood flow of the hickey-concerned area!
- One Chapstick
- Some Ice Cubes
- First, rub some ice cubes on the love bite until the area gets numb.
- Now, press the chapstick (from the cap side) on the hickey with a sufficient amount of pressure (not too much).
- Then, massage it in a round motion for a few moments.
- You can repeat this remedy twice a day.
5. Use Coin
- A Coin (any type of coin)
- Some Ice Cubes
- First, put some ice cubes on the bruised spot until the area gets insensible.
- After that, rub the coin firmly on the hickey for a few seconds.
- While trying this remedy, if the area gets warm again, re-apply the ice cubes.
- Repeat the process twice a day until the love bite disappears.
6. Ice Cubes
- Ice Cubes
- A Clean Cloth
- Wrap some ice cubes in a cloth to make an ice pack.
- Now, place this pack on the hickey for 10-15 minutes.
- Make sure to take breaks in between this process.
- Re-apply the ice pack 3-4 times daily to make the hickey less visible.
7. Aloe Vera
As aloe vera is a rich source of anti-inflammatory and healing properties, it’s effective against the swelling and pain related to a love bite.
- Aloe Vera Gel
- Damp Cloth
- Take a sufficient amount of aloe vera gel onto your palm.
- Apply a thin layer on the bruised body part and let it sit for 25-30 minutes.
- After that, wipe out the application with a damp cloth.
- Try this technique thrice a day for optimum results.
When you rub a toothbrush on a hickey, it promotes the blood flow beneath the skin, which eventually accelerates the healing process.
- Soft-Bristled Toothbrush
- Take a soft-bristled toothbrush and brush it gently in a circular motion all over the hickey-affected area for 2-3 minutes.
- When you’re done, apply a moisturizer or a lotion.
- To reduce its appearance, repeat this hack twice daily for up to one week.
9. Apple Cider Vinegar
Besides being an all-purpose home remedy, apple cider vinegar is an effective way to fade the appearance of a love bite.
- One Tablespoon of Apple Cider Vinegar
- A Glass of Water
- Cotton Ball
- Damp Cloth
- Pour one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and a glass of water into a bowl and stir them well.
- Next, soak a cotton ball in the mix and place it gently on the love bite for 5-8 minutes.
- Then, wipe out the application with a damp cloth.
- Redo this remedy at least twice a day for amazing results.
10. Cold Spoon Method
Spoon hack works by minimizing the blood flow from the broken veins, thereby reducing the love bite’s appearance.
- A Metal Spoon
- Put a clean metal spoon inside the refrigerator for 5-10 minutes.
- Once the waiting period is over, take the spoon out and press it on the love bite firmly from its backside for 2-4 minutes.
- Redo this technique 2-3 times daily until the hickey is gone.
11. Warm Compress
This remedy improves blood circulation in the bruised area, which ultimately fades away the love bite. Ensure to apply this method after using the cold spoon or ice cube method for 2 days.
- Warm Water (not hot)
- A Cloth
- Take a bowl of warm water and soak a cloth in it.
- Now, hold the cloth on the bruised area.
- Leave it for 3-5 minutes or until it cools.
- You can redo this method many times in a day to get rid of a hickey quickly.
12. Cocoa Butter
As cocoa butter is high in anti-inflammatory properties, it lessens the pain and swelling related to love bites.
- Cocoa Butter Lotion
- Cold Water
- Take a sufficient amount of cocoa butter lotion onto your palm.
- Apply it evenly on the love bite and let it sit overnight.
- In the morning, wipe out the application with cold water.
- Re-apply cocoa butter once or twice daily to enhance the hickey’s healing process.
13. Tea Tree Oil for Hickey Removal
Packed with the goodness of tea tree oil, this remedy is best for bruises, thanks to the tea tree’s anti-inflammatory characteristics.
- 2-3 Drops of Tea Tree Oil
- 10-12 Drops of Coconut Oil (for dilution)
- Mixing Bowl
- Cotton Balls
- Mix 2-3 drops of tea tree essential oil and 10-12 drops of coconut oil into a mixing bowl.
- Now, apply this mix to the love bite using a cotton ball.
- Leave this application for 15-20 minutes.
- Once the waiting period is over, rinse the application with cold water, followed by a moisturizer.
14. Witch Hazel
Witch hazel is a rich source of anti-inflammatory and astringent properties that reduces the discoloration and inflammation of love bites.
- Witch Hazel
- Cotton Ball
- Pour a few drops of witch hazel into a bowl.
- Now, rub it on the love bite-affected area using a cotton ball.
- Leave it for 2-4 minutes, then wash it off with lots of lukewarm water.
- Re-apply the witch hazel twice a day to get desired results.
15. Cap for Hickey Removal
This cap hack boosts blood circulation in and around the love bite area, thereby hastening the healing time.
- Cap or Pen (any type of cap can be used)
- Get a pen or a bottle cap for this remedy.
- Now begin this hack by rolling the cylindrical side of the cap on the love bite.
- During this method, don’t push it hard.
- Make sure to use this hack twice daily for a week.
16. Vitamin K
Vitamin K is known for its ability to speed up the average healing process of a love bite or bruise. So grab one from the store and use it now.
- Vitamin K Cream
- Take a sufficient amount of vitamin K cream on your palm.
- Then, spread it to the love bite with your fingertips.
- Leave this application for half an hour, then clean it using a damp cloth.
- Reuse this once or twice daily until the love bite fades away.
- Damp Cloth
- Cut a fresh pineapple into slices.
- Then, put the slice of pineapple on the hickey-affected body part.
- After keeping it for 3-5 minutes, wipe the spot with a damp cloth.
- Repeat this hack multiple times a day to make love bite less noticeable.
18. Vitamin C Cream
Vitamin C has antioxidants and collagen-enhancing properties that heal the bruise in no time.
- Vitamin C Cream
- Take a sufficient amount of Vitamin C cream on your fingers.
- Next, rub the cream on the bruised area, and leave it for half an hour.
- After that, wash it off with lukewarm water.
- Redo this process 2-3 times a day for positive results.
19. Use Arnica Gel to Remove a Hickey
Arnica gel or ointment is a traditional remedy for pain and bruising. It accelerates the typical healing process of love bites.
- Arnica Gel
- Pour arnica gel onto your fingers and spread it gently on the hickey-affected spot.
- Leave the application for 25-30 minutes.
- Once it’s dry, wash the treated body part with cold water.
- You can try this remedy multiple times a day.
20. Rubbing Alcohol
Generally, rubbing alcohol is used as a disinfectant, but it’s also an excellent method to reduce the appearance of love bites because of its soothing and cooling abilities.
- Rubbing Alcohol
- Cotton Balls
- Pour 4-6 drops of rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball.
- Now rub the ball all over the love bite and wait for 2-3 minutes.
- Wash the application with tepid water, followed by a moisturizer.
- Don’t use this method frequently; one time in two days is sufficient.
21. Arnica Essential Oil
Arnica oil eases inflammation and reduces the swelling of the love bite because of its richness in anti-inflammatory properties.
- 2-3 Drops of Arnica Essential Oil
- 15-20 Drops of Almond Oil
- Mixing Bowl
- Cotton Pad
- Mix 2-3 drops of arnica essential oil and 15-20 drops of almond oil into a bowl.
- Dab the cotton pad into the liquid and rub on the love bite.
- Leave it for 5-10 minutes, and then wash it with lots of water.
- Reuse this essential oil home remedy twice a day to eliminate the hickey.
22. Rosemary Essential Oil
Loaded with antioxidants, anti-inflammatory, and antiseptic qualities, rosemary essential oil boosts hickey’s average healing process.
- 3-5 Drops of Rosemary Essential Oil
- 10-12 Drops of Coconut Oil
- Mixing Bowl
- Cotton Balls
- Pour 3-5 drops of rosemary essential oil along with 10-12 drops of coconut oil into a bowl and stir them well.
- Now, apply it on the hickey with a cotton ball.
- Let it sit for 10-15 minutes, then wipe it off with water.
- Redo this technique twice a day until the love bite fades away.
23. Turmeric Essential Oil
Loaded with soothing and anti-inflammatory characteristics, turmeric essential oil is an effective remedy against hickeys!
- 4-5 Drops of Turmeric Essential Oil
- 13-15 Drops of Jojoba Oil
- Cotton Swab
- Combine 4-5 drops of turmeric essential oil and 10-15 drops of jojoba oil in a bowl.
- Now, dab the cotton swab into the mix and rub it on the love bite spot for a minute or so.
- Keep this application for 10-15 minutes, then wash it with cold water.
- To take the most out of this home remedy, redo this hack twice daily.
24. Visine Eye Drops
Visine eye drops make the hickey less noticeable by contracting the veins. Make sure to avoid its usage on open wounds and cuts.
- Visine Eye Drops
- Cotton Ball
- Spread a few drops of Visine on the bruise with fingertips or cotton balls.
- Use this hack twice a day for a week or until the love bite vanishes.
- People with sensitive skin or skin-related problems must avoid this hack.
25. Do a Massage
A gentle massage eases the pain and promotes blood circulation, thereby accelerating the bruise healing process.
- Olive Oil (Or any preferred oil of your choice)
- Take a few drops of olive oil in your palm.
- Rub a bit and massage gently on the love bite for a few seconds.
- Repeat this hack twice a day for better results.
Safety Precautions to Consider
Make sure to follow the below precautions before treating a hickey with home remedies:
- Before applying any substance to your skin, perform a patch test on a small area to check for any allergic reactions. This is especially important if you’re using essential oils or other potent ingredients.
- While using cold or warm compresses, avoid applying extreme temperatures directly to your skin.
- Avoid using multiple remedies simultaneously or overdoing any single treatment.
- When applying any treatment, use a light touch to avoid damage to the skin and underlying blood vessels.
- Always dilute essential oils with a carrier oil to avoid irritation.
What Not To Try to Remove a Hickey?
Below are some home remedies that float over the internet as an effective hickey remover, but they are not helpful in any way.
1. Peanut Butter
Peanut butter is said to be an excellent home remedy against love bites, but unfortunately, there are no proofs to support its effectiveness.
Nope! Vaseline is not a useful hack to remove a hickey. Don’t waste your time and try the above remedies that really speed up the love bite’s healing process.
3. Vicks Vaporub
Vicks cause irritation and redness when applied to the hickey. This happens because of its camphor, eucalyptus, and nutmeg oil ingredients. The situation can become much worse if the bruise has a minor scratch.
4. Orange Juice
Orange is rich in Vitamin C, but it doesn’t mean drinking orange juice will disappear the hickeys. Instead, apply Vitamin C cream topically to speed up the love bite’s healing process.
How to Remove a Hickey Instantly?
While the above remedies do their work, you can hide the love bite instantly with the below tricks.
Makeup is an excellent trick to hide a love bite instantly. Before telling you the trick, first, it’s important to choose the corrector according to the hickey’s color:
- Purple-red – Color corrector with green undertones.
- Black-blue – Color corrector with red or orange undertones.
- Green-yellow – Color corrector with purple undertones.
- Color Corrector (as per the hickey’s appearance)
- Make-up Brush
- Foundation (as per your skin tone)
- First, use the primer on the hickey-affected spot.
- Then, put the corrector on the love bite with a makeup brush to neutralize its hue.
- Next, choose the concealer as per your skin tone, and apply it gently on the top of the hickey using a brush.
- Dab the concealer with your fingers to set it onto your skin.
- In the end, apply a thin layer of foundation with the help of a foundation brush.
- Further, you can also dust a translucent powder over it.
- Now, your hickey is concealed, and you are good to go!
Band-Aid is also an excellent way to conceal those ugly marks of love bites. Take one and put it on the bruised spot. But make sure to create a nice compelling story about the bandaid. Good luck!
3. Cover with Hair
You only need long hair to disappear the hickey quickly. This is not a permanent solution. But, it works like a charm when you unexpectedly encounter your parents or family members.
4. Conceal with Clothing
This is one of the easiest tricks to cover the love bite. Trying different accessories not only hides the bruise but makes you try new fashion ideas. Below are some clothing add-ons that you can choose from:
- Turtleneck Sweater
- Turtleneck Long-sleeved Shirt
5. Temporary Tattoo
Using a temporary tattoo is one of the stylish and creative ways to cover the ugly love bite. Try a tattoo that matches your skin tone, and that’s it.
Speed Up Healing with Diet
A healthy diet is an essential aspect of enhancing the healing time of a love bite. By adding the below nutritional supplements to your daily regime, you can reduce the appearance of a hickey!
1. Food Rich in Vitamin C & K
Some people are prone to hickeys due to the lack of Vitamin C & K nutritional elements. Add food rich in these vitamins to your daily diet to aid healing. You can also take supplements but consult your doctor first.
- Vitamin C-rich foods – Broccoli, strawberries, kiwi, blueberries, sweet potato, lemon, guava, papaya, tomatoes, chili peppers, and parsley.
- Vitamin K-rich foods – Kale, mustard greens, spinach, broccoli, brussels sprouts, green beans, prunes, kiwi, avocado, green peas, and chicken.
2. Avoid Tobacco Based Products
It’s a good idea to avoid tobacco products and smoking. Smoking decreases the blood supply in the bruised area, thereby delaying its healing process. If you want to quit smoking, consult with your doctor.
When to See a Doctor?
Generally, a hickey doesn’t need any medical attention. But there are certain conditions under which consulting a physician is highly recommended, such as:
- Persistent pain, swelling, or redness
- Signs of infection
- Skin irritation
- Love bite that doesn’t heal within a week or two
- Have a weak immune system
How to Remove a Hickey: Conclusion
A love bite is not painful as it looks but is a major cosmetic issue, especially for professionals. If you have got one, the home remedies mentioned in this guide are the best and cheapest solutions.