Getting rid of hair extension glue can be a daunting task. Read this article and Remove Extension Glue From Hair without any hassle!
Are you unsure about the best approach for eliminating extension glue from your strands? Look no further and read this article to Remove Extension Glue from Hair using simple home remedies.
How to remove permanent hair dye? Find out here
What Is Hair Glue?
Hair glue is a popular hair styling product in the haircare industry. It’s used as an adhesive in wigs laces and as bonding glue to add hair extensions. This glue can easily hold your hairstyles, such as spikes or any other configuration, for an extended period of time. However, removing them can be a struggle at times. So, learn how to Remove Extension Glue from Hair at home below.
How to Remove Extension Glue From Hair | How to Get Extension Glue Out of Hair
When you remove the hair extensions, there’s a possibility that some traces of it can be left in the hair. Below are some home remedies to remove hair glue that is not only safe but effective as well!
1. Apply Hair Conditioner
A hair conditioner is an excellent means to get rid of that pesky hair glue. For this hack, firstly, wash the strands with water. Then put a sufficient amount of conditioner onto the glue and wrap it with a shower cap. Wait for 25-30 minutes, then rinse strands with lots of water. In the end, comb your hair to remove the glue.
2. By Dish Soap
Using dish soap as a hair glue remover sounds illogical, but it works! Firstly, wash your hair with water properly. Then apply dish soap on the desired spot with your fingertips and cover it with a shower cap. Leave it for 40-50 minutes, then wash your strands with shampoo and apply a conditioner as well. Now use a fine-tooth comb to peel out the glue particles from your hair.
3. Removal of Hair Glue by Oil
Oil is a perfect home remedy to eliminate the glue from your strands. Apply almond oil, jojoba oil, or argan oil on the problematic spot and put on the shower cap. Now, wait for around 20-25 minutes to let the glue soak the oil completely. When it’s soft to the touch, remove the glue by using a comb.
4. Peanut Butter
Peanut butter is a thick and oily substance that easily reduces the sticky nature of glue, thereby eliminating it effectively. Apply an adequate amount of peanut butter on the glue and wait for half an hour. Now rinse your hair properly and gently comb the strands.
5. Put Ice Cubes
Start this hack by putting an ice pack on the hair glue for around 5 to 10 minutes; this will make it hard and brittle. In the end, comb the strands generously to remove the glue.
6. By Apple Cider Vinegar
Thanks to its mild acidity, apple cider vinegar easily breaks down the bond between the glue and strands. Apply vinegar with a cotton ball or a cloth on the hair glue and leave it for a few minutes. When the glue seems soft, take it out gently using a comb. Finally, wash your hair with shampoo and use conditioner as usual.
7. Use Store-Bought Glue Remover
If none of the above remedies work for you, use commercial glue removers, which you can easily find online or at retail stores. To use such products, always follow the manufacturer’s instructions for glue removal.
Are Glue in Hair Extensions Bad for Your Hair?
If hair glue is used for a long period of time, then it can induce split ends and hair fall by clogging the scalp pores. Furthermore, the hair glue has latex in abundance, which can cause hypersensitivity issues. That’s why clear hair glue by using the home remedies that are mentioned above.
Remove Extension Glue From Hair: Safety Precautions to Consider
If you’re considering removing extension glue from your hair using home remedies, please exercise caution and follow these safety precautions:
- Perform a patch test: Before applying any home remedy, perform a patch test on a small section to ensure you don’t have an adverse reaction to the ingredients.
- Be gentle: When using any remedy, be gentle to avoid unnecessary tension, breakage, or damage to your hair and scalp.
- Choose the right tools: Use a wide-tooth comb or your fingers to separate the extensions from your hair gently. Avoid using sharp objects like scissors or knives, as they can accidentally cut your hair.
- Moisturize: After using the glue removal hacks, ensure your hair is well moisturized to minimize the risk of breakage.
- Be cautious with oils: Although oils like olive, almond, or coconut oil can be effective in loosening the glue, they can make your hair slippery and difficult to manage. Use them sparingly and with caution.
- Avoid harsh chemicals: Do not use acetone, alcohol, or other harsh chemicals to remove extension glue, as they can damage your hair and scalp.
- Hair or Scalp Issues: People having existing scalp and hair-related problems or sensitive skin must avoid the above remedies.
Hair Care Tips After Removing Glue
After removing hair extension glue, take care of your strands to restore their health and prevent any further damage. Here are some hair care tips to follow:
- Deep condition: Use a deep conditioning treatment or hair mask to restore moisture and nourishment to your hair. This will help repair any harm caused by the extensions and the removal process.
- Trim your hair: After removing the extensions, consider getting a trim to remove any split ends or damaged hair. This will promote healthy hair growth.
- Avoid chemical treatments: Give your hair a break from chemical treatments like coloring, perming, or straightening for a few weeks after removing the extensions. This will give your hair time to recover from any potential damage.
- Regular scalp massages: Massage your scalp regularly to stimulate blood circulation and encourage healthy hair growth. You can use oils like coconut, olive, or almond oil for the massage.
- Maintain a healthy diet: Ensure that you’re eating a balanced diet rich in vitamins and minerals.
- Stay hydrated: Drink plenty of water to keep your body and hair well-hydrated.
- Be patient: Remember that your hair may take some time to recover after the extension removal process. Be patient with your hair care routine, and your hair will regain its health and strength over time.
When to Consult a Professional?
Consult a professional hair stylist or extension specialist to remove extension glue from hair in the following situations:
- Limited experience: If you have never removed hair extension glue before or are unsure about the process, it is best to seek professional help.
- Strong or stubborn glue: Some extension glues are stronger than others and can be difficult to remove. If you have tried at-home methods without success, it’s time to consult a hairstylist.
- Sensitive scalp or skin: For individuals with a sensitive scalp or skin, removing extension glue at home may cause irritation or other issues.
- Damaged or fragile hair: If your hair is brittle or prone to breakage, attempting to remove the glue on your own may worsen the condition. A professional can assess your hair’s needs and recommend the best course of action.
How to Remove Extension Glue From Hair: Conclusion
Taking off extension glue can be challenging. Fortunately, several home remedies are available that help you accomplish this task. However, exercise caution, perform a patch test, and avoid harsh chemicals when using these remedies. After removing the glue, focus on hair care to restore the strands’ health.
Learn how to remove hair dye at home with dish soap here